Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Virtual Baby or Real Baby?

Which one's more important?

Ok so I know I'm late on this but I never heard of this before. This is new to me. I was reading about a study on Internet and social media addiction on NY Times. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/04/23/technology/tech-us-internet-addicts-life.html?src=busln

Apparently in South Korea a family neglected their 3 month old child and it died of malnutrition due to the fact that the mother and father were addicted to the internet and spending up to 12 hours a day taking care of.... A VIRTUAL BABY....
That's right, a non living, non breathing, non intelligent virtual baby. Made of code, not of your own flesh and blood or genetics. This thing must have been amazing to drown out the sounds of a baby crying to be fed. I hope these people got the death penalty, being South Korea I don't know if they have a death penalty or not but they should for something like this.

Back to the Internet addiction thing. I spend a lot of time on my computer, I'll admit it. I do sometimes wish I could check my things when I'm not around my computer. You know what though? I don't really care all that much, it'll be there when I get back. It's not like I need to know my friend Jack is going to BBQ a chicken breast and watch baseball. I don't need to see my friends updates, I don't need to see trending topics. I do check these things out randomly throughout the day if I'm near my computer though. I can break away from it all though as soon as I need to.
All this internet addiction people have, I wonder if camp sites have seen a decrease in profits due to people unable to break away for a weekend in a tent. I don't ever go to camp sites, I wonder how many have people on their iPhones and iPods, laptops, blackberry's. Checking their friends status' keeping up with... what are we keeping up with? I'm not even sure really. When you look at it all it seems silly really. What are we doing? Why are we addicted? What are we addicted to? Why is this all so important to us? This could all lead me into some other very deep long topics that I'm not going to get into at this moment. I'll leave it at this.

If anyone has any answers to my questions or any input on this please feel free to leave a comment. Make a post of your own about this and link back to me if you like.

No comments: