Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Axolotl

From what I've read Axolotl retain their fins and gills as they grow to adulthood, because they do not undergo metamorphosis. This species comes from the lake underlying Mexico City. Axolotl's are near extinction in the wild due to pollution in Mexico City. Although they are nearly extinct they are sold as exotic pets all over including places like America, Great Britain, Australia, etc. sold under the name Wooper Looper....
These little creatures are heavily studied in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate limbs and their large embryos and ease of breeding. The Axolotl is only native to Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco. Lake Chalco no longer exists due to humans drying it out due to constant flooding, and Lake Xochimilco is slowly drying out itself consisting of only a few small canals. Axolotl's are carnivorous eating small prey in the water such as worms, insects, and small fish. They can grow to be anywhere from 5.9-18 inches in their adulthood.

I love reptiles and amphibians, and I just happened to come across a article about these little guys. I must say they are pretty cool little amphibian. This picture is cute to (as cute as an amphibian can get, especially if you're not fond of them). I just wanted to share a little bit of information on these creatures.

I also just wanted to say that I don't quite understand why people would need one of these as an exotic pet. Sure they're cute and interesting but is owning an endangered species really that important? I just don't understand. Don't get me wrong I'd love to own one myself but I wouldn't even consider it knowing they're endangered. Sure they're being bred in captivity for science and to maintain the species but we don't need uninformed people caring for such a creature. It makes me think of Iguana's and how misled people are when they buy them. Not understanding the care that is needed to take care of one and not understanding the diets and the caution needed in owning one.


Image taken from: Warren Photographic.co.uk
Information on the Axolotl was summed up from the Wikipedia Article: Axolotl

No comments: